Student Deliberative Dialogue Facilitators
The Student Deliberative Dialogue Facilitator program at Illinois State was launched in fall 2021 to help with increased demand for hosting Deliberative Dialogues across campus. Ten undergraduate students were hired in the program’s the first cohort.
The students were all trained to facilitate Dialogues using the NIFI model and issue guides, and they assist Center staff in facilitating Dialogues in both classroom and out-of-class spaces.
Having undergraduate students facilitate Dialogues allows the Deliberative Dialogue program to continue to grow. It also offers student participants a facilitator who is a peer and can often better relate to their experiences. Finally, the student facilitators themselves also gain valuable conversational skills, experience, and training.
2023-2024 Student Facilitators
- AJ Biancalana, History
- Chad Bianchi, Nursing
- Lu Bonilla, Elementary Education
- Alyssa Conde, Criminal Justice
- Allison Henrichsmeyer, Political Science and Legal Studies
- Jimmy Lamerdin, Interior Design
- Emma Lancaster, Communication
- Katie O Callaghan, Political Science
- Taylor Pribyl, Communication Sciences and Disorders
- Laura Sanchez, Social Work
- Mady Schutte, Political Science and Legal Studies
- Gabby Sharp, Elementary Education
- Lisa Simmons, Special Education - Learning and Behavior
- Avery Spranger, Political Science
- Avery Steber, Criminal Justice
- Kerem Tasdem, Political Science
- Rylee Tompkins, English Education
Want to be a Student Facilitator?
The Center will be hiring in spring 2024 for several student facilitator positions for the 2024-2025 school year. Email the Center for Civic Engagement if you are interested in being a student facilitator. We will contact you when applications are available.